Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A quick update... that turned into Hudson's birth story!

Weeellllllll.... I am horrible still at this blog thing. I guess it's cause I figure it will take a while to create a post and put up some pics too. In the mean time, I'll try to just get better at updating! Only have a couple of minutes, as there are errands to run and a hungry baby to feed - that's right, Hudson's here! He actually arrived June 4, 2010 at 1:36pm. He weighed 8lbs, 1oz and was 20 3/4 in. long. Well.. I'll just go ahead and tell the story! We went to the hospital Thursday night at about 8:30pm when my contractions were about 2-4min apart. I didn't want to go and be one of those first time moms that thinks she's in labor when she's not, but my mom and my husband made me call my dr, who promptly told me to come on in and get checked with regular contractions like that for the past 2 hours. I was 2-3cm and 90% effaced... which was a little more progressed than I had been earlier that afternoon when I had actually had my 39-week doctor's appt. They told me that I was having cxns - as seen on the monitor, the dr. wanted me to stay, walk if I wanted to, and that they would check me again in 2 hrs. After walking down the same hallway over and over... and many conversations with Jordan about who knows what, they rechecked me and I hadn't really changed much at all. So options included: staying the night, getting some pain meds to help me sleep and get rechecked in the morning... or heading on home then and seeing if I could sleep better in my own bed. We decided that there was NO way with the cxns I was having that I would be able sleep at home, even if it was in my own bed... and that the way our insurance works, if we left and then had to come back even a few hours later, we would be charged for 2 different stays and it would get more expensive, fast. SO. It was a no-brainer to stay the night, get some pain meds and potentially re-evaluate in the morning. Worst case scenario - I would (in theory) get a good nights sleep, nothing would have changed by the am, and we would go home. Well, what actually happened was that between the two injections I received of Demerol/Phenergan, they did nothing. Seriously. For someone who has only ever had Percocet in her life (wisdom teeth out in 11th grade) you'd think I'd be super sensitive to those meds. Maybe its me or maybe my nurse didn't give it in the exact right place, but those meds didn't help at all. Thankfully, however, I did progress over night, and at 3:30am when they rechecked me before giving me more meds to help with my pain, I was 3.5cm dilated and 100% effaced. We were making progress! That injection didn't help a bit... and when the dr. checked me at a little after 5am, I was 5cm and they told me we could go ahead and get an IV started, give me a bolus of fluids, start my epidural and break my water. I remember being adamant about getting my epidural before they broke my water-and I bet they were thinking "duh-thats what we always do..." but hey! I was semi-out of it from the meds and had no idea. One thing I do specifically remember was the dr. who came in for the day looking at me and saying, "I think we're going to have a baby today!" to which I responded.. "I hope so!" another big fat duh. :)
Anywho... IV started - no problem. Epidural started - NO problem. To those of you out there afraid of having one, don't be. I honestly barely remember it and it feels like a TINY pinch on your back. And then you're done and pain free. A no brainer, if you ask me, to get one! Broke my water-didn't feel a thing. Seriously. I then preceded to sleep on and off that morning; barely greeted my mom when she arrived to the hospital (she stayed at our house the night before), and felt totally out of it for the remainder of the day... the leftover meds in my system from the night before and the meds from the epidural rendered me useless. For real. I couldn't feel a single contraction and fell asleep between pushes. Crazy, absolutely. I started pushing around noon when my nurse checked me and said I was complete... and we had our little Hudson Warner Anderson at 1:36pm that afternoon. He didn't let out a big cry at first, but his little wimpers let me know he was okay :) No fears, though, we started rubbing him down on my chest, and he preceded to clear those lungs right out with a huge cry. Music to my ears.
So, there's the story of my sweet Hudson's birth! (minus the gory details of course...) Jordan and my mom were there for the delivery, and J was a total champ and right there the whole time. I was impressed :)
Typical-I started only wanting to do a short update and ended up telling the whole story of Hudson's entrance into the world. Oh well, whatever. Now we're 15 min away from a feeding, so I'll try to put up a pic or two and then be off to tend to my precious growin boy! Man, I love that kid. What a blessing from the Lord.
Here's our new little family just after Hudson arrived!
and here's our sweet Hudson at like 2 1/2 weeks old... bright eyed and puttin on some weight! :)

1 comment:

  1. Love it when you update your blog! Can't wait to see you tomorrow! Love and kisses to you and precious Hudson :)

    ReplyDelete